About The House
The story of the Hathorn House
The original stone house was built in 1773 by John Hathorn and his wife Elizabeth Welling Hathorn. Their initials are set in brick in the roof gable wall. He was Colonel of the 4th Orange County Militia during the Revolutionary War, and a Founding Father of New York State and the Nation. He served on the first NY Legislature and the 1st and 4th Congresses of the United States.
In 1834 the farm was purchased by Ezra Sanford, Jr., a veteran of the War of 1812. His son Pierson Ezra Sanford created an innovative and successful dairy business here. The Sanfords enlarged the house.
In 1926 Wilfred L. Raynor, Sr. purchased and continued farming. The Raynors placed the property on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. They owned for 85 years.
Domar Homestead LLC bought the property in 2009, reselling to the Raynors in 2013.
By 2016, the house was deteriorating and endangered. In that year Arek Kwapinski and Sylwia Kubasiak rescued this historic landmark. Over the next five years at great cost and hard work fixed and updated it to become the Old Stone House Restaurant in 2021.